Learn a lifetime skill. Keep yourself & others safe.

Driver Improvement Program

Alcohol and Drug
Education Program

The Alcohol and Drug Education Program is for drivers who have an out of country driver's license and would like to get a Maryland License. The class is sometimes called 'Safe and Sober', '3 Hour Class', or ADEP.


When: Registration at the indicated class start time.
For More Information: Call 410-467-RPDS
Location: 711 W. 40th St. Suite 205, Baltimore, MD 21211

Upcoming Classes

Sunday April 22


Please call 410-467-RPDS for information about costs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is required to take the class?

Any licensed driver from most other countries. Drivers from the United States, who have an Armed Forces Driver's License, but no state issued license, also have to take the ADEP class.

I am from the country of _____________. Do I still have to take the class?

The Maryland MVA has reciprocity agreements with South Korea, France, Germany, Taiwan, and Japan. Drivers from any other country are required to take the class.

I don't really speak or understand English. What can I do?

The classes are in English. However, when you go to the MVA you can have an approved interpreter. The MVA keeps a list of approved interpreters.

I never had a license in my home country.

You will have to obtain a Maryland Learner's Permit and take the 36-hour Driver's Education class. You do not need to take the ADEP class.

My out of country license has expired. What do I do?

Your home country license may be valid or expired, but not suspended or revoked.

How long is the class?

Three hours.

How much does it cost?

Please call 410-467-RPDS for information about costs.

Do I have to pre-register?

It is helpful if you let us know in advance that you are coming.

Do I have to bring anything?

Yes. You need a government issued photo ID. An MVA ID card is ok. If you are bringing your out of country Driver's License you will also have to bring your 'International Driver's License.'

What is an 'International Driver's License'?

A form that accompanies your home country license. It is an official translation of your license. You can obtain this form from your embassy or consulate.

Will I get a certificate of completion?

The instructor will give you a form showing that you have completed ADEP if you do not have a Soundex number. This form is an Official Document and cannot be replaced or duplicated. If you do have a Soundex number, your class completion will be electronically submitted to the MVA.

What is a Soundex number?

If you have a Maryland ID, or if you are on record with the MVA for some other reason (tickets for example), then they have assigned you a Soundex number. The Soundex number is a code that the MVA assigns to you, if you are in their database.

Can I take the class on-line?

Roland Park Driving School only offers the class in person at our location.

Where can I get more information?